Managing Consultant & Architect
Managing Consultant and Solution Architect with 30 years’ experience delivering solutions to oil & gas exploration, power, broadband and commodity trading industry leaders, especially in the area of complex database design & implementation. Team leader and in-the-trenches technical expert.
Managing Consultant & Architect
November 2015 – Present (10 months)Houston, Texas Area
Engaged at a variety of clients as a large-scale solutions architect and distributed team lead. Primary engagement at Royal Dutch Shell’s Technical and Competitive IT organization as Solution & Data Architect at the Subsurface Design Office
• Provide architectural and design guidance to application development teams to drive integration between disparate systems, technologies, cultures.
• Draw on deep domain experience to develop standard conceptual and logical models for data stores, leading to physical implementation of both relational and non-relational database models.
• Deliver reference implementations of cross-product service layers
• Prototyping & tool selection
• Develop integration & development plans with development teams
Mesa Technology Partners LLC
March 2002 – November 2015 (13 years 9 months)Houston, Texas Area
Founded and led boutique consulting firm with expertise in large-scale software development in the energy industry. Selected engagements at marquee client Royal Dutch Shell include
Integration Task Force Management Consultant | November 2014 – November 2015
• Lead member Global Task Force assembled to develop strategy & execution roadmap for portfolio-wide subsurface data and application integration. Only outside consultant selected to perform a leadership role on this task force, comprised of client GMs & architects. Task Force recommendations and roadmap were approved by executive management for immediate execution.
• Member of tactical team that was assembled during the course of the task force to develop a strategy and technical tactics to integrate the static earth modeling and dynamic reservoir simulations systems capabilities for delivery in 2017. The team recommendations were approved and implemented.
• Technical Advisory Panel ( Volumetrics, PBE)
Basin Evaluation Team Lead, Solution & Data Architect| March 2002 – November 2015
Responsible for architecture & life-cycle development of a web-based basin and play analysis platform delivered to a worldwide community of geoscientists and explorers. Combining HPC simulation engines for trap identification, hydrocarbon generation and venture economics with a comprehensive GIS enabled distributed relational database, the architecture enables easy collaboration between globally dispersed team members and enables what-if scenario analysis and vetting of prospective leads
• Responsible for product development, architecture and team execution of the program. Coordinated activities between multiple globally distributed development teams and an offshore testing team.
• Stakeholder management: Enterprise Architecture, Product Managers, IT Operations, R&D as well as the end user community comprised of Basin Modelers, Geologists, Geoscientists, Exploration Managers and Principal Technical Experts on a global basis.
Certifications: Apache Cassandra Architect
Skills: Oracle Database, Agile Methodologies, Solution Architecture
Causes Rick cares about: Arts and Culture, education, environment, science and technology